Friday, January 24, 2020

Golf Committee Minutes January 2020


Golf Committee January 22, 2020 Minutes

Attendees:

Dan Becker, Michael Nicoletti, Lisa Erickson, Carol Garvey, Cary Greisen, Ed Reeder, Jim Reis, Board of Governors: John Korvin

Important Notices

Use of the course when closed to member play, typically Mondays, is prohibited.  Violators will first be given a written warning, with a mandatory 30-day suspension for subsequent violations.
Pets on course (from our Rules & Regs) No dogs or other pets, except for seeing eye dogs and other qualified handicap service dogs are permitted on Club property (Including the golf course) at any time ...

General Manager Update

·         Dan Becker conveyed the update.
·         The 2020 budget (both operational and golf course renovation) is still being worked, with every indication that it is in its final stages.
·         While we want to hold off on providing specifics until we know the actual plans.  Here is the current thinking (with minor changes if any at all):
o   Target start date is June 1, 2020,
o   Expected closure is five months +/-,
o   Friendship Cup April 22-24,
o   Mac Cup April 30, May 1-2,
o   Fairways sodded like #17,
o   Greens resurfaced and reseeded (not sodded) with a more poa-resistant bent grass,
o   Various tee boxes renovated, extended, or added,
o   Old surrounds replaced to match the new ones.
·         The Pro Shop has been in contact with other area country clubs and reports that we will have a myriad of options for play.
·         Retention of staff during the closure has been and remains a top priority.
·         The Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update will be the primary source of project and golf course information for members.  The ClubLife app is becoming the primary source of other Club information, including daily Frost Delay notifications.  Starting March 1 the ClubLife app will be the source of billing information.
Action Item: Mike N –Transition the Frost Delay email to the ClubLife app.
-- DONE
·         The Tilly’s kitchen has completed Placer County permitting.  The remaining question is when should the project start – soon or during the course closure.  Tilly’s will remain open during the construction.

On Boarding Process/Policies/Codes

A subcommittee was formed to discuss and formalize our On Boarding process for new and recent members.  In addition to facilitating education and introduction to the club an emphasis will be placed on codifying formal enforcement policies.
Action Item: Mike P – Make sure that the club website gets updated with the new policies and codes.
Action Item: Mike N – Complete the On Boarding process materials
.

Pro Shop / Outside Services Update

1.      Outside services, as expected, lost several people as college terms started.  May start hiring.
2.      The cart Geo Fencing is improved and tighter.
3.      Mike N is investigating the possibilities of private cart owners installing the GPS system.
Action Item: Mike N – Report your findings.

Course Conditions and Renovation

For comprehensive information please check the Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update.
The following is from an email that Matt sent to the Committee:
·         2020 Project - … I can share that I’ve been working diligently on the many details and logistics of our scope of work including meeting with contractors who are interested in providing a labor quote.
·         #17 FW – Drainage work is needed on the left-hand side of the hole along with some tree thinning / pruning to allow light and sun into the wet areas. We will get to the pruning soon. The area needs to dry out before we get in there with sod cutters and trenching equipment to install drainage.
·         Hybrid Bermuda Surrounds Winter #1 - I’m content with the color we are maintaining with the surrounds and confident that with a full season of growth along with the culturing, topdressing and strategic in season height of cut adjustment we will be able to mitigate the playability issues before next winter. Poor winter turf quality in shady areas will only be mitigated by extensive tree work which is included in the scope of work for 2020. The pruning we are currently in process with has these issues in mind as well.
·         2020 Aeration – There will be no closures for aeration this coming spring. We likely will do some non-intrusive solid tine aeration but none of it will require closure.

Junior Golf Update

·         Nothing of note to report.  When the course is renovated the Junior tee markers will adjusted, keeping with the junior golf guidelines.

Handicap Integrity / Reports                                                                

·         Jack reported an 85 percent compliance of posting scores.  Michelle had no report due to an insufficient number of scores.
·         The Pro Shop has decided that there is not enough content to warrant an educational seminar.  It was suggested that the minutes include some educational information regarding the new system.  Here are three items that have recently come up:
1) You need to check your handicap before each round.  It is recomputed after each posted round as opposed to the old system of recomputing twice a month.
2) If you play from different tees (and the par is the same for both tees) there is no more a need to make any handicap adjustments (a.k.a., "Snoopy Points").  From USGA FAQs (which is an excellent source of information).
I play in a group where we all play from different tees. Do we still have to make a Course Handicap adjustment when we play?
Under the current system, a Course Handicap adjustment is required when players compete from different tees since each set of tees has a different Course Rating. Under the Rules of Handicapping, your Course Handicap factors in both Course Rating and par – meaning an adjustment is only necessary when par is different – which will be far less likely!
3) The new system factors in the daily changes in course difficulty.  These could be changes due to weather conditions, pin placements, course setup, etc.  You can read more about it here and here.  The PCC is calculated automatically, so there is no additional work for players or club administrators.  (Though honestly, we haven't seen any adjustments as of yet).
·         Some members have reported that they prefer the USGA GHIN app to the NCGA’s myNCGA app for posting.

Locker Room Attendant

·         The Locker Room Attendant will start work February 1st and will be on duty Wednesday through Sunday.  Hector will handle Tuesdays.  See attachment for details on the duties performed.

Tournament Update

·         The Warrior winners were Dan Becker and Scott Colby, Lisa Erickson and Katrina Van Aller.
·         The Men's Tilly's Cup has gone all the way through the end of the year. There are two left with Greg McIntosh undefeated and Jeff Erickson making it all the way through the redraw pools to play him in the finals. He will have to beat Greg twice to win.
·         The NCGA 4-ball and Zone qualifiers will be held in February.  Winners sponsored by the Club
·         The Valentine tournament will be Feb 11th and it is hoped to piggyback with a Valentine’s Dinner.
·         The Couples Tournament will be Feb 15th.
·         As always, check the Club Life app for details on upcoming tournaments.

Attention to Detail / Action Items

This is a portion of the meeting where the committee reviews and voices items that should be corrected or where GBGC comes up lacking when compared to other clubs.  They should be focused primarily on the Golf Experience.
Prior items:
·         #5 bathroom walkway – loose tile, trip hazard.
-- In 2019 all bathrooms will be repainted and tile replaced/repaired.  This is currently in process and awaiting final budget approval. Note that the tiles have been replaced.
·         #10 fairway too narrow/rough too wide when using Pebble tees.
-- There will be tree trimming and likely the contours will be smoothed when the course is re-sodded.
·         It was suggested that a new Tournament tee be added to #11.
-- Will be done when the course is re-sodded.
·         The cart barn air nozzle is too long.
-- DONE
·         Have a box for tees, scorecard, pencils, etc. at the two “desks” near the bag drop and the main putting green.
-- DONE
·         Other area courses have short videos that cover course care, etiquette, etc. 
Action Item: Mike P – Come up with a plan to make the videos a reality.

This month’s unfiltered items:

·         Members are frequently leaving balls on the chipping green or not raking bunkers after they are finished with practice.  The Committee agreed that this was poor etiquette and disrespectful of fellow members.
Action Item: Mike N -- Propose a solution to the issue.
·         The Red tees on #10 are blind to tees further back.  Golfers on the Red tees are frequently “in the line of fire”.
Action Item: Matt/Mike N – Explore a possible solution.

New Business

A proposed 2020 Golf Calendar was presented, given a June 1st closure

Open Action Item Summary

Mike P – Make sure that the club website gets updated with the new policies and codes
Mike P – Come up with a plan to make the videos a reality.
Mike N – Complete the On Boarding process materials
Mike N – Report on the possibilities of private cart owners installing the GPS system.
Mike N -- Propose a solution to the issue of improper practice area etiquette.
Matt/Mike N – Explore a possible solution to the #10 Red tee“blind shot” problem.
Jack – Get a larger scorecard box for Tilly’s.

Next Meeting Dates (all 4pm)

2/25, 3/24, 4/28, 5/27, 6/23 (subject to change).

Attachment: Locker Room Attendant

                                        Member Expectations


  •  Member arrives at the club and puts on golf shoes.
  •  Member leaves street shoes in front of locker.
  •   Street shoes (if appropriate) are collected, shined, and returned to front of locker.
  •  Member returns from playing golf and changes into street shoes.
  •  Member leaves golf shoes in front of locker.
  •  Golf shoes are collected, cleaned, and placed inside member’s locker.
  • If a member has a guest, the guest is introduced to the locker room attendant. Guest is given a locker if desired. Guest shoes (if appropriate) shined and returned to front of locker. If guest wants golf shoes cleaned after round, he should take them to the attendant and tip appropriately. The member should instruct the guest on this process and stress the appropriate tip.
  • The locker room attendant is also responsible for the care (towels and products) and cleanliness of the locker rooms, steam room, showers, and bathrooms.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Golf Committee Minutes December 2019


Golf Committee December 17, 2019 Minutes

Attendees:

Dan Becker, Michael Peabody, Matt Dillon, Michael Nicoletti, Lisa Erickson, Carol Garvey, Kevin Gil, Cary Greisen, Michelle Inouye, Ed Reeder, Jack Wright, Board of Governors: John Korvin, Jim Reis.

Important Notices

Use of the course when closed to member play, typically Mondays, is prohibited.  Violators will first be given a written warning, with a mandatory 30-day suspension for subsequent violations.
Pets on course (from our Rules & Regs)  No dogs or other pets, except for seeing eye dogs and other qualified handicap service dogs are permitted on Club property (Including the golf course) at any time ...

General Manager Update

·         The 2020 budget is still being worked, though it is expected to be finalized December 20th.  At that time a press release to the members will be provided.  It is a virtual certainty the fairways will be converted to Bermuda and the greens resurfaced/reseeded, the questions remaining primarily deal with how much additional work will be performed and the project start date.  We want to hold off on providing more information until we know the actual plans.  It is the Club’s intent to provide extensive communications throughout the project.
·         The Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update will be the primary source of project and golf course information for members.  The ClubLife app will transition to become the primary source of other Club information, including daily Frost Delay notifications.  Starting February 1 the ClubLife app will be the source of billing information.
Action Item: Mike N –Transition the Frost Delay email to the ClubLife app.
·         The Tilly’s kitchen still has a few permitting issues remaining.  A start date cannot be given until they are resolved.
·         Our F&B satisfaction ratings are 93% positive – among the Top 10 in ClubCorp.
·         The yearly “State of the Club” letter will provide information on non-course budget approvals, as well as describing our new locker room attendant’s duties.
·         Members of our team have been nominated for special ClubCorp-wide recognition for their outstanding work. Meredith Loosse and Chef Rod Williams have been nominated for Rising Star awards.  Matt Dillon and his entire team have been nominated for a Super Star award.

Pro Shop / Outside Services Update

1.      Outside services continues to get good marks – normal end of year turnover is expected.
2.      The cart Geo Fencing continues to be fine-tuned.
3.      The cart vendor will be addressing the speaker volumes - an answer is expected by the end of the year.
4.      Mike N is investigating the possibilities of private cart owners installing the GPS system.
Action Item: Mike N – Report your findings.

Course Conditions and Renovation

For comprehensive information please check the Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update.
·         Primarily doing end-of-year wet-weather tasks.
·         The work on the pond between #3 and #12 was simply to clean up the dead material.  The plant roots are still there and the area will regrow.
·         The green surrounds will be more level and less matted once they grow in and mature.

Junior Golf Update

·         The Junior year is almost over.  Meredith had an end-of-year night glo-ball putting event which had more than 60 people in attendance!

Handicap Integrity / Reports                                                               

·         Jack reported a 81 percent compliance of posting scores.  Michelle reported 66% compliance.
·         New Windows-10 posting computers will be installed which should remedy the availability issues we have experienced.  Members are reminded that they should post scores online if the on-course computers are inoperative.
·         Note that scorecard boxes (Tilly’s and Pro Shop) are provided for receipt of completed scorecards.  This will help gather data for eventual course handicap recalculations.
·         The Pro Shop will be sending out educational materials on the new world wide handicapping system which goes into effect January 1st.

Locker Room Attendant

·         The duties of the Locker Room attendant will be noted in the yearly State-of-the-Club letter.

Tournament Update

·         Our State-Wide Scratch League placed second at Poppy Hills, one shot off a playoff.  The members were Michael Nicoletti, Gary Dunn, Jeremy Price, Jon Peterson, Scott Colby, Jeff Hoffman, and Gary Deblaquiere.  It was the narrowest of margins possible and we were just on the wrong side of it. 
·         The yearlong Tilly's Cup men’s division has four remaining golfers, we will see who prevails.
·         As always, check the Club Life app for details on upcoming tournaments.

Attention to Detail / Action Items

This is a portion of the meeting where the committee reviews and voices items that should be corrected or where GBGC comes up lacking when compared to other clubs.  They should be focused primarily on the Golf Experience.
Prior items:
·         #5 bathroom walkway – loose tile, trip hazard.
-- In 2019 all bathrooms will be repainted and tile replaced/repaired.  This is currently in process and awaiting final budget approval. Note that the tiles have been replaced.
·         #10 fairway too narrow/rough too wide when using Pebble tees.
-- There will be tree trimming and likely the contours will be smoothed when the course is re-sodded.
·         Trees on #11 need to be trimmed – both to allow sight of the green and to allow walking underneath.
-- DONE.
·         It was suggested that a new Tournament tee be added to #11.
-- Will be done when the course is re-sodded.
·         The cart barn air nozzle is too long.
·         Have a box for tees, scorecard, pencils, etc. at the two “desks” near the bag drop and the main putting green.
Action Item: Mike N – Acquire any necessary boxes and put them in place.
·         GBGC is an NCGA member club and can have a “Club Officer” to liaise with the NCGA
-- DONE –Dan recruited himself.
·         Other area courses have short videos that cover course care, etiquette, etc. 
Action Item: Mike P – Come up with a plan to make the videos a reality.

This month’s unfiltered items:

·         The Frost Delay email problems were addressed.

New Business

A proposed 2020 Golf Calendar was presented.  However, until we get firm course closure dates not much more can be done.
The On-Boarding process was discussed and a subcommittee formed to finalize things.  It was noted that updated policies and codes will be on our website by the end of the year.  An emphasis will be placed on formal enforcement policies.
Action Item: Mike P – Make sure that the website gets updated and that the Monday play and Pet restrictions are clearly noted.
Action Item: Ed – Distribute the revised Golf Guide to the Committee.
Action Item: Mike P – Convene the On-Boarding subcommittee.

Next Meeting Dates (all 4pm)

1/21 (subject to change).

Friday, December 20, 2019

2019. A Transitional Year for GBGC

As we approach the 2019 Winter Solstice this coming Saturday 12/21/19, I cant help but thinking how transformational  the year was for the golf course. We started what will be the biggest change since the courses inception and that is the switch from cool season turf to warm season Santa Anna Hybrid Bermuda in our primary playing surfaces. The change was and is not without some pain and sacrifice. Hybrid Bermuda takes longer to establish as it needs to be propagated in the warm summer season right ahead of it's natural dormancy in the fall and winter. This is really evident in the immaturity of the new surround turf which is now not growing so we can't do anything make it better until early spring. Additionally to finish the project we are looking at closing the golf course for a period of time in 2020 which displaces our members.




However I am extremely confident that once this new turf is fully established, we will have the fast and firm surfaces we have always desired spring all the way through fall. And if #17 fairway is any indication of future firmness of the fairways in the winter months, I'm confident play-ability will good in that season as well. 


Current Santa Anna Hybrid Conditions.

My observations so far with the turf we started installing only 4 months ago (8/6/19) is the color is good in both the surrounds and #17 fairway particularly where there is plenty of sun exposure. Texture and play-ability in the surrounds is too tight and uneven especially  compared to what we are accustomed to playing off of in the winter months with our older cool season turf. This, along with density and color of the turf in shaded areas will be mitigated before next December as we will have a full season of establishment and will raise the height of cut of the turf prior to fall slow down. I'm very satisfied with the firmness of #17 fairway which is firmer then the older fairways at this juncture. Still more wet weather to come likely that could impact it, but I'm optimistic.




#17 Fairway December 19, 2019 only 4 months after the sod was installed.

The Project in 2020

We would have fully hoped at this point at the end of the year we would have had something definitive to share with the membership regarding our plans for 2020. I can assure you the final scope of work  is diligently being worked on and hashed out through the year end budgetary process. The likely scope will include finishing fairways and some work on greens, tees & trees but timing and details are still a bit fluid. We will know soon and will use this Granite Bay Course Update format along with all other forms of communication to get the word out on 2020's details as soon as we know more.

#2 Surround  December 19, 2020. 

Thank You

All of us in Granite Bay Golf Course Maintenance would like to express our thanks for the year end bonuses we receive through the generosity of our members. It is really appreciated by the maintenance crew and we thank you. I would personally like to thank  for your support and patience during the "in process" and upcoming turf conversion. This kind of work wouldn't be possible without your support. 



Saturday, November 30, 2019

Golf Committee Minutes November 2019


Golf Committee November 19, 2019 Minutes

Attendees:

Dan Becker, Matt Dillon, Mike Nicoletti, Kevin Gil, Cary Greisen, Michelle Inouye, Ed Reeder, Jack Wright, Board of Governors: John Korvin, Jim Reis.

Important Notice

Use of the course when closed to member play, typically Mondays, is prohibited.  Violators will first be given a written warning, with a mandatory 30-day suspension for subsequent violations.

General Manager Update

Michael Peabody was in an off-site meeting and Dan Becker provided the following:
·         The 2020 budget is still in final stages of completion.  When it is finalized a report to the members will be submitted.  Currently there remains virtual certainty the fairways will be converted to Bermuda, the questions remaining primarily deal with how much additional work will be performed.
·         The significant Tilly’s kitchen permitting issues have been resolved with only minor details remaining.  The contractor is hopeful for a January start date.
·         A new Grill Manager, Andrea <last name>, is getting high marks.
·         Our F&B satisfaction ratings are 95% positive – the highest ever.
·         The Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update will become a wider source of information for members. A name change of the link will be more reflective of a myriad of communications from the Pro Shop, Golf Committee, General Manager, etc.
·         Mike P will quarterback new member on-boarding, along with direct involvement from Mike N.  New member on-boarding is a critical component of member education, and expectations.

Pro Shop / Outside Services Update

·         Michael Parlett is getting good marks, with his professional manner frequently mentioned.
·         Issues remain with the delivery of the daily Frost Delay email.  Options are being explored.
·         Outside services is getting favorable comments and training continues.
·         The Geo Fencing as well as other capabilities of the new carts are being fine-tuned.
·         The new cart speakers cannot be further moderated; however, music complaints have actually been fewer.
·         Mike N is investigating the possibilities of private cart owners installing the GPS system.
·         A reminder that the annual Christmas Sale will be December 6, 7, 8.  Champaign and hors d'oeuvres will be served on the 6th and 7th.

Course Conditions and Renovation

For comprehensive information please check the Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update.
·         It is assumed that the course renovation will commence June 1st.
·         No Spring Aerification is planned.
·         This November has been abnormally dry, the driest in 15 years, we are still hand watering portions of the course.
·         We experimenting with fertilizer and pigmentation to improve the hybrid Bermuda’s appearance while dormant.  It is expected that a browner more dormant appearance will occur December through February..

Junior Golf Update

·         The Junior Club Championship was huge success.  There were 30 players (four times the previous number) in four flights, they loved the tournament and are looking forward to future competitions.  Arthur Lyons was the boy’s champion, shooting a 75, Ellie Bushnell was the girl’s champion, shooting a 70, both from the Combo tees!

Handicap Integrity / Reports                                                               

·         Jack reported a 77 percent compliance of posting scores.  Michelle reported 66% compliance.  The low percentages were attributed to the posting computers being down.  Members are reminded that they should post scores online if the on-course computers are inoperative.
·         Note that scorecard boxes (Tilly’s and Pro Shop) will be provided for receipt of completed scorecards.  This will help gather data for eventual course handicap recalculations.

Locker Room Attendant

·         An attendant will soon be on board.
Action Item: John Korvin –Define his duties and insure that the membership is aware of what services can provided.

Tournament Update

·         The Jones Cup was a success; an extra flight had to be added.
·         The Founder’s Cup was very well received, with many compliments from the participants.
·         The Tournament of Champions was another event that went well.  The format is expected to change next year.
·         The yearlong Tilly's Cup men’s division has six remaining players Hunter Jr, Erickson, Dietz, Patterson in the redraw, Becker and McIntosh in the main draw.  In the women’s division of 33 golfers Mary Kwan defeated Sue Perry-Smith for the title.  Mary is a back-to-back champion.
·         The day before Thanksgiving Men’s Guest day is filling up and is a great value.
·         As always, check the Club Life app for details on upcoming tournaments.

Range Beautification /“Within 200 yard of Clubhouse” Aesthetics

This effort is on hold pending (hopeful) budget approval for a range remodel.

Attention to Detail / Action Items

This is a portion of the meeting where the committee reviews and voices items that should be corrected or where GBGC comes up lacking when compared to other clubs.  They should be focused primarily on the Golf Experience.
Prior items:
·         #5 bathroom walkway – loose tile, trip hazard.
-- In 2019 all bathrooms will be repainted and tile replaced/repaired.  This is currently in process and awaiting final budget approval. Note that the tiles have been replaced.
·         #10 fairway too narrow/rough too wide when using Pebble tees.
-- There will be tree trimming and likely the contours will be smoothed when the course is re-sodded.
·         #13 decomposed granite path needs repair (from rear of green to cart path).
-- DONE
·         Desire a shortcut path from #14 green to #15 lower/occassional Club tees.
Action Item: Matt –It is on the list to be done.
·         Tee box benches need to be re-sealed
-- DONE.
·         Trees on #11 need to be trimmed – both to allow sight of the green and to allow walking underneath.
·         It was suggested that a new Tournament tee be added to #11.
-- Will be done when the course is re-sodded.
·         The cart barn air nozzle is missing its tip (it was replaced but the nozzle is too long).
·         The cart barn is cluttered, as is the Bag Storage area (especially the battery recharge shelf).
-- DONE
·         Have a box for tees, scorecard, pencils, etc. at the two “desks” near the bag drop and the main putting green.
·         #5 cart path needs repair.
-- DONE
·         #6 pin positions have not been following the customary alternating “right/left” placement.
-- DONE
·         GBGC is an NCGA member club and can have a “Club Officer” to liaise with the NCGA
Action Item: Dan –Recruit a Club Officer.
·         Other area courses have short videos that cover course care, etiquette, etc.
Action Item: Michael P –Determine who will take the lead on video content and production

This month’s unfiltered items:

·         None.

New Business

The 2020 calendar has only considered January through May events due to the likely course closure for turf conversion, et al.  A preliminary calendar has been proposed for GM and/or committee review.
The approach to the revised Golf Guide, a part of the new On Boarding effort, was discussed.  The intent is to remove all the code and policy verbiage, relying upon the Club’s website for that information, and have the guide concentrate on care of the course and golf etiquette.

Next Meeting Dates (all 4pm)

12/17 (subject to change).

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Golf Committee Minutes - October 2019


Club Management in conjunction with the Granite Bay Golf Club Golf Committee recently decided to use this Course Update as another vehicle to "get the word out" on what is going on at The Club regarding the golf experience and golf committee. Ed Reeder takes copious notes during the  golf committee meetings and then produces these minutes which are then distributed to the committee & club management for approval. Below are the approved minutes from  the October Golf Committee meeting and moving forward we will send them out through this course update as well  the already established distribution channels. 

Thanks Ed and all the committee members for  the steady guidance of the  Granite Bay Golf Club Golf Committee



Golf Committee October 1, 2019 Minutes

Attendees:

Michael Peabody, Dan Becker, Mike Nicoletti, Kevin Gil, Cary Greisen, Michelle Inouye, Ed Reeder, Jack Wright, John Korvin (Board of Governors).

Important Notice

Some Mondays private carts have been on the course.  This practice has to stop.  Mondays can be used to apply chemicals that can cause severe damage, approaching vandalism, if spread by carts to non-targeted areas of the course.  Violators are subject to suspension.  Your cooperation is appreciated.

General Manager Update

·         The 2020 budget is expected to be approved and course renovation details known within the next two weeks.
·         The county has still not approved the permits for Tilly’s kitchen.  The contractor is going to have a face-to-face to determine the cause for the delay.
·         Updated Dress Code and Code of Conduct documents are awaiting Club Corp legal approval.
·         A new Grill Manager will be in place within the next 10 days.
·         Our F&B ratings continue to be top shelf.

Pro Shop / Outside Services Update

·         Michael Parlett has been hired as our new Assistant Professional.  Michael has been a General Manager and a Head Professional.  Mike N will ease him into his new job, which includes attention to outside services and “customer service” between arriving at the range and the first tee.
·         Gabrielle Espinoza is a new inside services addition with past retail experience.
·         Mike N is aggressively training the new hires.  There will be increased manager presence on the range effective immediately.  This dedicated and regular/visible outside services management will hopefully address attention to detail, and increased consistency.
·         The Geo Fencing on the new carts is being fine-tuned.
·         The new cart speakers are too loud and a solution is being worked.
·         TaylorMade will replace our current range balls with new “Project (a)” balls after acknowledging they had supplied defective, compromised balls

Guest Policy

·         The new guest policy has been shared with the golf staff and the Membership Director.  It will be shortly be communicated to the membership.

Course Conditions and Renovation

For comprehensive information please check the Granite Bay Golf Club Course Update.
·         The newly sodded Bermuda is growing in well.  We will be applying fertilizer and later a pigment to improve its appearance while dormant.
·         The greens are in better post-aerification condition than at this time last year.
·         The new bunker edges are being well received.

Junior Golf Update

·         The Junior Club Championship trophies are on display.  The championship, open to those 18 and younger, will have four divisions and be held October 20th.  An information packet is available in the Pro Shop and will be communicated to the membership.
·         Pace of Play reminder – when playing with your Juniors continue to be aware of pace of play and its impact on other members.

Handicap Integrity / Reports                                                                

·         Jack reported an 89 percent compliance of posting scores.  Michelle reported 79% compliance.
·         Two scorecard boxes (Tilly’s and Pro Shop) will be provided for receipt of completed scorecards.  This will help gather data for eventual course handicap recalculations.

Attention to Detail

This is a portion of the meeting where the committee reviews and voices items that should be corrected or where GBGC comes up lacking when compared to other clubs.  They should be focused primarily on the Golf Experience.
Prior items:
·         #5 bathroom walkway – loose tile, trip hazard.
-- In 2019 all bathrooms will be repainted and tile replaced/repaired.  This is currently in process and awaiting final budget approval. Note that the tiles have been replaced.
·         #10 fairway too narrow/rough too wide when using Pebble tees.
-- There will be tree trimming and likely the contours will be smoothed when the course is re-sodded.
·         #13 decomposed granite path needs repair (from rear of green to cart path).
-- Is this still a need? It was agreed that it was
·         Desire a shortcut path from #14 green to #15 Pebble tees.
Action Item: Matt –It is on the list to be done.
·         Tee box benches are not positioned where needed and should be refinished
-- Latest decision is to have benches only on par 3
Action Item: Matt –Reseal the needed benches.
·         Trees on #11 need to be trimmed – both to allow sight of the green and to allow walking underneath.
·         It was suggested that a new Tournament tee be added to #11.
·         #9 cart path needs repair.
-- DONE
·         The cart barn air nozzle is missing its tip (it was replaced but the nozzle is too long).
·         The cart barn is cluttered, as is the Bag Storage area (especially the battery recharge shelf), but is being addressed.
·         Have a box for tees, scorecard, pencils, etc. at the two “desks” near the bag drop and the main putting green.
·         #5 cart path needs repair.
-- DONE
·         #6 pin positions have not been following the customary alternating “right/left” placement.

This month’s unfiltered items:

·         None.

Locker Room Attendant

·         An attendant has been hired and Mike P and John Korvin will define his duties.

Tournament Update

·         The Tilly’s Cup is on-going and will likely last through year end.
·         The Couples Tournament and Mini-Mac were both well run and well received.
·         October will have a Couples Invitational (Member/Guest) and our Club Championship.  Check the ClubLine app for details.

 Junior, Busy Day, etc. “impacts and protocol”

·         A number of range positions will be designated with priority given to those needing to warm up prior to their tee time.  Signs are made and their use will be communicated to the membership.  They will be in place during the busy months of June, July, and August.

Range Beautification /“Within 200 yard of Clubhouse” Asthetics

This effort is on hold pending budget details.

New Business

The current On Boarding process for new members will be updated and sent to the Golf Committee for comments.
Action Item: Mike N – Update the process draft and distribute for electronic review.
Other area courses have short videos that cover course care, etiquette, etc.  It was agreed that it would be a good idea for GBGC to do the same.  They can be sent to the membership and/or played on our new cart’s screens.
Action Item: Michael P –Determine who will take the lead on video content and production
GBGC is an NCGA member club and can have a “Club Officer” to liaise with the NCGA, getting information on such things as trips, tournaments, seminars, etc.
Action Item: Dan –Recruit a Club Officer.

Next Meeting Dates (all 4pm)


11/19, 12/18 (subject to change).